Law & Communities Program
For more information about CIEL's Law and Communities Program, contact Kristen Genovese.
Defending Communities' Rights
CIEL’s Law and Communities (L&C) Program assists communities in defending their rights to land and natural resources. Working with partners around the world, CIEL provides direct support to communities by helping them access regional and international mechanisms to defend themselves. CIEL also advocates for international laws and policies that recognize community-based property rights, with a special focus on the right to free, prior, and informed consent (FPIC).
Learn more about the Law & Communities Program
Latest Law & Communities Program News
- Urgent action! Ask the Nicaraguan government to approve and construct a life-saving dialysis clinic for former sugarcane workers suffering from chronic kidney disease.
- Groups Support Challenge to Dam Project in Panama for Violating Indigenous Rights
- UN Representative on Indigenous Peoples Asked to Investigate Human Rights Violations Caused by Panama's Barro Blanco Dam
- Ontario Securities Commission asked to Investigate Tahoe Resources After Wiretap Evidence Implicates Employees in Violence at Guatemala Mine
- Early Warning System Launched to Alert Communities to Investments that may Affect their Rights
CIEL Worldview Blog:
Law & Communities
Read what CIEL staff have to say on Law & Community topics at our CIEL Worldview Blog - Law & Communities category.