Environmental Communications Internship
The Center for International Environmental Law (CIEL) is seeking exceptionally motivated undergraduate students, graduate students, and graduates for the opportunity to help a ground-breaking environmental organization dramatically increase the role of communications in advancing its mission, growing its audience and building its supporter base. The internship can be a full or part-time position based in the Washington, DC office for a minimum of 10 weeks. Due to limited resources, internships/externships are unpaid. The intern will work with the Communications Manager to frame CIEL’s message, develop and maintain a consistent organizational voice, manage and support our engagement with both online and traditional media, and grow our audience. The Communications Intern will: support CIEL’s communications capacity and strategy; draft material on behalf of CIEL programs, activities and leadership; edit external communications; and support online outreach and supporter engagement. The Communications Intern reports to the Communications Manager.
- Draft and edit communications materials including news releases, news materials, online content, program announcements, reports and development materials and multimedia products;
- Conduct research to identify journalists and media outlets to approach for coverage;
- Analyze, track and optimize CIEL’s web presence;
- Support creation and implementation of email campaigns and other social media communications;
- Maintain timesheets contemporaneously and submit them on time;
- Meet periodically as requested, with the Communications Manager.
- Experience or training in journalism, public relations, or communications;
- Exceptional writing skills, including the demonstrated ability to write in a wide variety of formats and to translate complex subject matter clearly and compellingly for a variety of audiences;
- Strong and demonstrated experience with a variety of communication technologies and formats, including business-relevant experience in the use of online and social media;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Knowledge of and experience with Google Analytics and Search Engine Optimization;
- Interns/externs work full or part-time during the school year, and may receive credit from their schools. Summer interns typically work full-time during the summer months. Due to limited resources, internships and externships are unpaid.
To apply: Please submit a resume, cover-letter, and an example of recent work to Amanda: email@example.com.